Click Here for Back Issues of Language in India - From 2001
BOOKS FOR YOU TO READ AND DOWNLOAD FREE!
- The Impact of Teachers’ Beliefs on L2 Grammar Teaching ...
Nayyer Hassan, M.A. TESOL, M.S. TESOL
- Tribal Languages of Kerala ...
Ravi Sankar S. Nair, Ph.D.
- Teaching of Adverbials to the Tamil Speaking Learners of English ...
- Drama in Indian Writing in English - Tradition and Modernity ...
Dr. (Mrs.) N. Velmani, Ph.D.
- Representation of History in Rahi Masoom Reza’s A Village Divided and
Amitav Ghosh’s The Glass Palace
Imran A.K. Surti
- Personality Style, Anxiety Sensitivity and Perceived
Social Support among the Pregnant Women
M.Phil. Dissertation in Clinical Psychology ...
Mangaleshwari Manjari. N. M.Sc., M.Phil.
- Health and Medical Care Services: Claims on National
Editor: C. Subburaman, Ph.D.
- An Investigation into Some of the Learning Problems in
English Language Writing among Lambada Community Learners
in Andhra Pradesh ...
N. Padmamma, M.Phil.
- Teaching Writing Using Picture Stories as Tools at the High School Level: The Movement from Other Regulation to Self Regulation ...
Y. Nirmala, M.Phil.
- Current Perspectives on Education ...
Editors: P. Udayakumar, M.Sc., M.Phil., M.Ed., M.A., Ph.D. Candidate
Dr. M. Lekeshmanaswamy, Ph.D.
Dr. K. Dhanalakshmi, Ph.D.
- Acoustic Characteristics of Vowels in Telugu ...
- Mother – Daughter Relationships: A Study of The Dark Holds No Terrors, Difficult Daughters and Fasting, Feasting ...
Jitender Singh, M.A., M.Phil., NET.
- Treatment of Violence: A Study of Morrison’s The Bluest Eye and Beloved
Shubhanku Kochar, M.Phil., Ph.D. Candidate
- Dyslexia: A Critical Study of Language Deficiency in Children and Adolescents
Vaishali Narbheram Punjani, M.A., M.Phil. B.Ed.
- Michael Ondaatje’s Anil’s Ghost and Vikram Chandra’s Sacred Games as Detective Fiction
S. Sridevi, M.A., M.Phil., B.Ed.
- A Grammar of Malayalam ...
Ravi Sankar S Nair, Ph.D.
- The Evolution of Language Laws in Post-Independence India ...
B. Mallikarjun, Ph.D.
- Impact of Commercialization on Language with Special Reference to Urdu Lexicon - Doctoral Dissertation ... Somana Fatimah,Ph.D.
- Status of English among the Kokborok and Tripura Bangla Learners in Tripura - M.Phi. Dissertation
... Swapan Debnath, M.A., M.Phil., Ph.D.
- Communicative Language Teaching Approach at Higher Secondary Level in Bangladesh –
Teachers’ Perceptions and Classroom Practice
... Md. Khaled Bin Chowdhury, M.A. (Double)
- A Study on Personality Factors Causing Stress among School Teachers
M.Phil. Dissertation ... C. Manjula, M.A., M.Phil., Ph.D.
- English Language Teaching
Updating the English Classroom with Techniques and Communication Skills
A Book on Current ELT ... Chandrika Mohan, M.A., M.A., M.Phil., C.G.T., Ph.D. Candidate
- A Song for the Road-
Wole Soyinka’s Imagery and Tradition ... V. N. Manjula, Ph.D.
- A Linguistic Survey of Katta Varadaraju’s Dwipada Ramayanam
A Ph.D. Dissertation in Telugu ... Pammi Pavan Kumar, M.A. (Telugu) M.A. (Linguistics),
M. Phil., Ph.D. (Telugu)
- Select Speeches of Mrs. Indira Gandhi
English to Tamil
M.Phil. Dissertation ... J. Abiraami, M.A., M.Phil.
- Linguistics and Literature, Department of Linguistics Silver Jubilee Volume 1 ... Editors: C. Sivashanmugam, Ph.D., et al.
- Recent Advances in Linguistics, Department of Linguistics Silver Jubilee Volume 2 ... Editors: C. Sivashanmugam, Ph.D., et al.
- Engineering English: A Critical Evaluation - Ph.D. Dissertation ... Albert P’Rayan, Ph.D.
- Kalidasa's Shakuntala and the Doctrine of Rasa ... Tripti Mund, M.A., M.Phil.
- Evolving Strategies for Teaching Basic Vocabulary in L2 through Meaningful Input: An Ethnographic Study with First Generation Learners ... Rajakumar Guduru, M.Phil., Ph.D. Scholar
- Aspects of Autobiography in Indian Writing in English ... Editors: Pauline Das, Ph.D., K. R. Vijaya Murari, Ph.D., and Charu Sheela, M.A., M.Phil., M.B.A.
- Imagery in Donne's Songs and Sonnets ... Fatima Ali al-Khamisi, M.A.
- Parsing in Indian Languages ... Editors: Kommaluri Vijayanand and L. Ramamoorthy
- English Language Teaching (ELT) in Saudi Arabia: A Study of Learners' Needs Analysis with Special Reference to Community College, Najran University ... Dr. Mohd. Mahib ur Rahman, Ph.D.
- Provision for Linguistic Diversity and Linguistic Minorities in India ... Vanishree V.M., MAPL and ELT, M.A., PGDHRM.
- Impact of Students' Attitudes on their Achievement in English: A Study in the Yemeni Context ... Hassan Saeed Awadh Ba-Udhan
- A Study of B.ED. Students' Attitude Towards Using Internet in Vellore District, Tamilnadu, India ... T. Pushpanathan, M.A., M.Phil., B.Ed.
- Development of a Hindi to Punjabi Machine Translation System, A Doctoral Dissertation ... Vishal Goyal, Ph.D.
- A Report on the State of Urdu Literacy in India, 2010 ...
Omar Khalidi, Ph.D.
- English for Medical Students of Hodeidah University, Yemen - A Pre-sessional Course ...
Arif Ahmed Mohammed Hassan Al-Ahdal, Ph.D. Scholar
- Global Perspective of Teaching English Literature in Higher Education in Pakistan ...
Rabiah Rustam, M.S., Ph.D. Candidate
- Improving Chemmozhi Learning and Teaching - Descriptive Studies in Classical-Modern Tamil Grammar ...
A. Boologa Rambai, Ph.D.
- A Phonetic and Phonological Study of the Consonants of English and Arabic ... Abdulghani A. Al-Hattami, Ph.D. Candidate
- Some Aspects of Teaching-Learning English as a Second Language ...
R. Krishnaveni, M.A., M.Sc., M.Phil., Ph.D. Candidate
- The Influence of First Language Grammar (L1) on the English Language (L2) Writing of Tamil School Students: A Case Study from Malaysia ...
Mahendran Maniam, Ph.D. (ESL)
- Economics of Crime : A Comparative Analysis of the Socio-Economic Conditions of Convicted Female and Male Criminality In Selected Prisons in Tamil Nadu ...
S. Santhanalakshmi, Ph.D.
- Technique as Voyage of Discovery: A Study of the Techniques in Dante's Paradiso ...
Raji Narasimhan, M.A.
- A Critical Study of The Wasteland - Poetry as Metaphor ...
K. R. Vijaya, M.A., M.Phil.
- Language and Literature: An Exposition - Papers Presented in the Karunya University National Seminar ... Editor: J. Sundar Singh, Ph.D.
- Linguistic Purism and Language Planning in a Multilingual Context ...
L. Ramamoorthy, Ph.D.
- Papers Presented in the All-India Conference on Multimedia Enhanced Language Teaching - MELT 2009 ...
L. Ramamoorthy, Ph.D. and J.R. Nirmala, Ph.D.
- A Phonological Study of Variety of English Spoken by Oriya Speakers in Western Orissa - A Doctoral Dissertation ... Arun K. Behera, Ph.D.
- Phonological Analysis of English Phonotactics of Syllable Initial and Final Consonant Clusters by Yemeni Speakers of English ... Abdulghani. M. A. Al-Shuaibi, M.A.
- Journey of Self-discovery in Anita Nair's Ladies' Coupé ... V. Chandra, M.A.
- The Literary Value of the Book of Isaiah ... Helen Unius Backiavathy, M.A.,M.Phil., Ph.D. Candidate
- A Study of Structural Duplication in Tamil and Telugu - A Doctoral Dissertation ... Parimalagantham, Ph.D.
- The Politics of Survival in the Novels of Margaret Atwood ... Pauline Das, Ph.D.
- Nonverbal Communication in Tamil Novels - A Book in Tamil ...
M. S. Thirumalai, Ph.D.
Girish Karnad as a Modern Indian Dramatist - A Study ...
B. Reena, M.A., M.Phil.
- A Study of English Loan Words in Selected Bahasa Melayu Newspaper Articles...
Shamimah Binti Haja Mohideen, M.HSc. (TESL)
- The Internal Landscape and the Existential Agony of Women in Anjana Appachana's Novel LISTENING NOW, A Doctoral Dissertation ...
M. Poonkodi, Ph.D.
- Trade in the Madras Presidency, 1941 - 1947 - A Doctoral Dissertation ...
R. Jayasurya, Ph.D.
- Trends and Spatial Patterns of Crime in India - A Case Study of a District in India ...
M. Jayamala, Ph.D.
- The Trading Community in Early Tamil Society Up To 900 AD ...
R. Jeyasurya, M.A., M.Phil., Ph.D.
- A Study of Auxiliaries in the Old and the Middle Tamil ...
A.Boologarambai, M.A., Ph.D.
- History of Growth and Reforms of British Military Administration in India, 1848-1949 ...
Hemalatha, M.A., M.Phil.
- Language of Mass Media: A Study Based on Malayalam Broadcasts - A Doctoral Dissertation
K. Parameswaran, Ph.D.
- Form and Function of Disorders in Verbal Narratives - A Doctoral Dissertation ...
Kandala Srinivasacharya, Ph.D.
- Status Marking in Tamil - A Ph.D. Dissertation
P. Perumalsamy, Ph.D.
- LANGUAGE AND POWER IN COMMUNICATION ...
Editors: Jennifer M. Bayer, Ph.D., and Pushpa Pai, Ph.D.
- Onomatopoeia in Tamil ...
V. Gnanasundaram, Ph.D.
- Linguistics and Literature ...
C.Shunmugom, Ph.D., and C. Sivashanmugam, Ph.D., V. Thayalan, Ph.D. and C. Sivakumar, Ph.D. (Editors)
- Translation: New Dimensions ...
C.Shunmugom, Ph.D., and C. Sivashanmugam, Ph.D., Editors
- Language of Headlines in Kannada Dailies ...
M. N. Leelavathi, Ph.D.
- Cooperative Learning Incorporating Computer-Mediated Communication: Participation, Perceptions, and Learning Outcomes in a Deaf Education Classroom ...
Michelle Pandian, M.S.
- The Effects of Age on the Ability to Learn English As a Second Language ... Mariam Dadabhai, B.A. Hons.
- A STUDY OF THE SKILLS OF READING COMPREHENSION IN ENGLISH DEVELOPED BY STUDENTS OF STANDARD IX IN THE SCHOOLS IN TUTICORIN DISTRICT, TAMILNADU ...
A. Joycilin Shermila, Ph.D.
- A Socio-Pragmatic Comparative Study of Ostensible Invitations in English and Farsi ...
Mohammad Ali Salmani-Nodoushan, Ph.D.
- TEXT FAMILIARITY, READING TASKS, AND ESP TEST PERFORMANCE: A STUDY ON IRANIAN LEP AND NON-LEP UNIVERSITY STUDENTS - A DOCTORAL DISSERTATION ...
Mohammad Ali Salmani-Nodoushan, Ph.D.
- A STUDY ON THE LEARNING PROCESS OF ENGLISH
BY HIGHER SECONDARY STUDENTS
WITH SPECIAL REFERENCE TO DHARMAPURI DISTRICT IN TAMILNADU
K. Chidambaram, Ph.D.
- SPEAKING STRATEGIES TO OVERCOME COMMUNICATION DIFFICULTIES IN THE TARGET LANGUAGE SITUATION - BANGLADESHIS IN NEW ZEALAND ...
Harunur Rashid Khan
- THE PROBLEMS IN LEARNING MODAL AUXILIARY VERBS IN ENGLISH AT HIGH SCHOOL LEVEL ...
Chandra Bose, Ph.D. Candidate
- THE ROLE OF VISION IN LANGUAGE LEARNING in Children with Moderate to Severe Disabilities ...
Martha Louise Low, Ph.D.
- SANSKRIT TO ENGLISH TRANSLATOR ...
S. Aparna, M.Sc.
- A LINGUISTIC STUDY OF ENGLISH LANGUAGE CURRICULUM AT THE SECONDARY LEVEL IN BANGLADESH - A COMMUNICATIVE APPROACH TO CURRICULUM DEVELOPMENT by
Kamrul Hasan, Ph.D.
- COMMUNICATION VIA EYE AND FACE in Indian Contexts by M. S. Thirumalai, Ph.D.
- COMMUNICATION VIA GESTURE - Indian Contexts by
M. S. Thirumalai, Ph.D.
- CIEFL Occasional Papers in Linguistics, Vol. 10
- Language Acquisition, Thought and Disorder - Some Classic Positions by
M. S. Thirumalai, Ph.D.
- English in India: Loyalty and Attitudes by
- Language In Science by
M. S. Thirumalai, Ph.D.
- Vocabulary Education by
B. Mallikarjun, Ph.D.
- A Contrastive Analysis of Hindi and Malayalam by
V. Geethakumary, Ph.D.
- Language of Advertisements in Tamil Mass Media by
Sandhya Nayak, Ph.D.
- An Introduction to TESOL: Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages by
M. S. Thirumalai, Ph.D.
- Transformation of Natural Language into Indexing Language: Kannada - A Case Study by B. A. Sharada, Ph.D.
- How to Learn Another Language? by M.S.Thirumalai, Ph.D.
- Verbal Communication with CP Children by Shyamala Chengappa, Ph.D. and M.S.Thirumalai, Ph.D.
- Bringing Order to Linguistic Diversity - Language Planning in the British Raj by
Ranjit Singh Rangila,
M. S. Thirumalai,
and B. Mallikarjun
- E-mail your articles and book-length reports in Microsoft Word to
- PLEASE READ THE GUIDELINES GIVEN IN HOME PAGE
IMMEDIATELY AFTER THE LIST OF CONTENTS.
- Your articles and book-length reports should be written following the APA, MLA, LSA, or IJDL Stylesheet.
- The Editorial Board has the right to accept, reject, or suggest modifications to the articles submitted for publication, and to make suitable stylistic adjustments. High quality, academic integrity, ethics and morals are
expected from the authors and discussants.
Copyright © 2012
M. S. Thirumalai
Of Speaking, Writing, and Developing Writing Skills in English
Anindya Syam Choudhury, Ph.D., PGCTE, PGDTE,
CertTESOL (Trinity, London)
Of the four core language skills of listening, speaking, reading and writing, writing is obviously the most difficult skill for second and foreign language learners to master. The main reason for this difficulty is the fact that writing is a very complex process which involves both creating and organizing ideas and translating them into cohesive texts which are readable. However, in the English classrooms in India, this skill is generally taken for granted with little or no focus on the complex process of writing.
This article takes up this issue, beginning with a few introductory remarks on the teaching of English language skills in the Indian context, and then moving on to a discussion about the differences between speech and writing before proposing a five-step procedure for the development of writing skills in English.
Keywords:Language skills, speaking, writing, cohesive texts, second language learners
When we consider second or foreign language pedagogy today, we tend to focus our attention on the development of the four macro-skills – listening, speaking, reading and writing – on the acquisition of which hinges the ability of the language user to use the language with proficiency in a variety of contexts. Of course, there is a school of thought which believes that in the tapestry of a language, the linguistic elements and skills are woven so intricately together that they can’t be separated without destroying the fabric of that language. While there’s no gainsaying that such a view has weight and we, therefore, advocate the teaching of language skills in an integrated way, it is also essential sometimes, especially in an acquisition poor environment, to isolate a specific skill and its sub-skills for focused attention. In this way, language teachers can help second or foreign language learners in honing specific language skills to perfection.
Traditional Neglect of Language Skills in India
In the Indian context, all the four language skills have been traditionally neglected with teachers generally doling out lessons on formal grammar, focusing on the development of meta-lingual knowledge, thinking that this would in turn develop the ability of the learners to use the language well. Unfortunately, however, this focus on meta-lingual knowledge, which over-emphasizes formal analysis and entails the use of a lot of grammar terminology, has not been able to deliver the hoped-for result, which is, as Rivers (1983: 33) very aptly points out, “to produce students who can communicate about anything and everything in the second language, comprehending and creating at will novel utterances that conform to the grammatical system of the language (whether in speech or writing).” As a consequence, we generally have English language users with poor skills, unable to use the language for communication, be it in the spoken form or in the written form. Historically, linguists and educational researchers have held contradictory positions vis-à-vis the relationship between speaking and writing.
This is only the beginning part of the article. PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE ENTIRE ARTICLE IN PRINTER-FRIENDLY VERSION.
Anindya Syam Choudhury, M.A. (Pune), Ph.D. (MJPRU), PGCTE, PGDTE (EFLU), CertTESOL (Trinity College London)
Department of English
Silchar – 788011
- Click Here to Go to Creative Writing Section
- Send your articles
as an attachment
to your e-mail to
- Please ensure that your name, academic degrees, institutional affiliation
and institutional address, and your e-mail address are all given in
the first page of your article. Also include a declaration that your
article or work submitted for publication in LANGUAGE IN INDIA is an
original work by you and that you have duly acknowledged the work or
works of others you used in writing your articles, etc.
Remember that by maintaining academic integrity we not only do the right
thing but also help the growth, development and recognition of Indian/South Asian scholarship.