INSTITUTES & DEPARTMENTS OF LINGUISTICS, INDIAN LANGUAGES, SPEECH AND HEARING, AND ENGLISH LITERATURE! SEND YOUR ANNOUNCEMENTS TO APPEAR IN THIS PLACE!!
Tamil Sangam of Greater Washington,
Federation of Tamil Sangams of North America,
International Society for Tamil Cultural Studies
Mylai Thiruvalluvar Tamil Sangam (Mylapore)
Tamil organizations & institutions
International Thirukkural Conference
July 9-10, 2005
Critically analyze Thirukkural in
an objective manner
Create an awareness of Thirukkural
amongst the younger generation Indians and people of other cultures
compare Thiruvalluvar with other
philosophers of the world (e.g. Confucius, Aristotle, Socrates, Plato, Machiavelli)
Learn lessons from Thirukkural for
fulfillment in our lives
Highlights of the
Participation by internationally
renowned Tamil scholars and Thirukkural Researchers
Proceedings of the Conference in
English and Tamil
College credits for participating
Publication of a book consisting
of research papers on Thirukkural both in English and Tamil
Prizes for the three top ranking
papers ( 1st Prize - $1000; 2nd Prize - $500, 3rd
Prize - $300)
During this conference, as a souvenir, we plan to publish a
book containing research articles on Thirukkural. Those who would like to have
their articles published in this book and presented at the conference should
first submit an abstract. Our goal is to ensure that the articles that are published
in this book contain original research material on Thirukkural. A Technical Evaluation
Committee consisting of eminent Tamil scholars has been formed to review the
abstracts to ensure that the articles selected for publication meet the
expectations in terms quality and originality of research. The authors whose
abstracts are selected will be notified of the selection and requested to
submit a detailed paper to be included in the book.
The following rules and guidelines shall apply to the
submission of abstracts and papers for this conference publication:
should be submitted no later than August
author may submit more than one abstract for consideration. Articles can
be in Tamil or English
- Please send copies (2) of the Abstracts
to the addresses listed below
Dr. T. Murugarathanam
5, 3rd Street, Theni road
Palkalai nagar East
Madurai 625 021 INDIA
Dr. Sornam V. Sankar
5420 Autumn Field Court
Ellicott City, MD 21430
will be notified by October 15,
2004 whether their abstracts have been selected or not.
copy of the detailed paper should be submitted no later than December 31, 2004.
and selected papers should be either printed or typed. Abstracts should be
less than two standard pages and the final paper should be less than ten standard
Technical Evaluation Committee will review and rank the articles based on
the quality of research, originality and other suitable criteria. The top
three articles will be awarded prizes. First prize - $1000; Second prize
$500; Third prize $300. Also, the prize winning articles will be published
in the Research Journal “Tamil World” published by the International
Institute for Tamil Cultural Studies, Madurai,
of the Technical Evaluation Committee may submit articles for inclusion in
the book to be published. But, they are not eligible for the prizes.
authors of the papers will have the opportunity to present their papers at
the conference. However, they should make their financial arrangements for
travel to USA
either by themselves or through grants/donations from other organizations.
can submit abstracts and papers on any topic that is related to Thirukkural.
Listed below are some examples of topics for the authors’ consideration.
However, it is not required that they should write their papers only on
- Valluvar on Principle- Centered Living
- Valluvar on
Purpose of Life
- Valluvar on Political Governance
- Valluvar on Public Administration
- Valluvar on Personal and Interpersonal relationship
- Valluvar and other Philosophers and Thinkers of the
Morality and Thirukkural
and the Environment
- Valluvar on Romance
- The Relevance
of Valluvar to the Modern World
- Valluvar in Indian Thought Complex
- The Trivarga
Purushharthaas(Human Goals) of Valluvar and the Caturvarga Purushaarthaas
Religion of Valluvar
- Valluvar in World Perspectives
If you have any questions or comments
regarding the International Thirukkural Conference or regarding this
notification, please send them to the email address firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. R. Prabhakaran
CONGRESS OF THE WORLD'S MAJOR LANGUAGES: CALL FOR PAPERS
Institute of Language and Literature Malaysia
50926 Kuala Lumpur, MALAYSIA
Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka Malaysia (Institute of Language and Literature Malaysia) is a semi-government body entrusted by the Government of Malaysia to plan and promote the standardization of the Malay language.
2. In less than five decades of language planning, the Malay language has achieved its main objectives of being the national language, the official language and the medium of instruction in Malaysia. However, what the future holds for this language and for many other languages of the world vis-à-vis the globalization juggernaut has to be viewed in its proper perspective. It is within this context that this Congress is convened. In this Congress, a major language is loosely interpreted as a language system that has been adopted by a community to be its national and official language within its boundaries and this language has played a major role in its nation's progress.
3. This Congress is meant to highlight the successes and experiences of many countries in establishing their respective national languages and to formulate strategies that will enable speech communities of the world to be inhabitants of a global village without sacrificing their languages and their national self-esteem.
4. To ensure the success of this Congress, we have identified potential presenters, but we want to open it for a wider audience of scholars around the world, so that a variety of important contributions about language planning and policies from around the world will be presented to the Congress. Thus, the Organizing Committee of the Congress of The World's Major Languages cordially invite you to submit abstracts and papers for presentation. Papers may cover any or all of the following topics:
- The importance of national languages and their role in nation building.
- Language policies and their ramifications.
- Language planning and their implications.
- The impact of globalization on national languages.
5. All abstracts will be reviewed by the Program Committee, which reserves the right to accept and reject abstracts for inclusion in the Program. All abstracts and papers must be original work. It is the responsibility of the presenting author to ensure accuracy of content, spelling and presentation, as abstracts will be published exactly as submitted. Your abstracts will be translated into Malay. Abstract text should be a maximum of one A4 page (approx 500 words), written in Malay or English. Abstract text should be in Times New Roman Font, 12pt size, be single-spaced and justified. Leave a line between paragraphs and do not indent. Authors will be notified of acceptance by 20 July 2004, or as soon thereafter as possible. Abstracts and papers are to be submitted via e-mail to: email@example.com.
6. The format of your full paper manuscript shall be in PC's Microsoft Word .DOC or .RTF formats. The full paper must be written in Malay or in English and should not exceed 3000 - 5000 words; all the illustrations should be in black and white. You may also send a hard copy of the manuscript (printed on A4 size paper) to:
The Organizing Committee
Congress of the World's Major Languages
Language Research Division, Language Department
Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka
50926 Kuala Lumpur
Please ensure that all materials are complete and checked for accuracy.
7. Important dates to look out for are summarized below.
Abstract due: 30 June 2004
Notification of Acceptance: 10 July 2004
Final Paper Deadline: 01 September 2004
Conference Day: 05 October 2004
Thank you and we look forward to hearing from you.
"BERKHIDMAT UNTUK NEGARA"
RUSLI BIN ABD. GHANI
Head of Language Research Division
for The Director-General